How To Play Roulette Online
How To Play Roulette Online – A Vegas trip can mean one thing and that is going to the casinos to test your skills. Everyone who has traveled to Las Vegas has tried their hand in casinos at one point with some going back several times as the lure of the slots machines, poker tables, and other table games are too strong. You can be attached to the sights and sounds of the slots, or be as wily as the poker pros on the poker table, but when it comes to roulette, many start off at the fringes of the table looking at the players who are trying their luck.
It’s easy to feel daunted with the scope of the game with the wheel off to one side and numbers in red and black on the other side with many a chips being moved here and there. You’ll probably feel confused on how the game is played which is rightly so. But if you think that roulette is going to be tough to learn, you might be surprised to find that it is actually a piece of cake. Here’s what you need to know about playing roulette.
How To Play Roulette Online
The rules of Roulette are pretty straightforward. If you are going to play Standard Roulette, you will see a spinning wheel, betting table, ceramic ball that is usually spun by a croupier, and of course, the wagers that players will be placing. Before a round begins, all players will need to place their bets or chips on the Roulette table. The croupier will then spin the ceramic ball on the opposite direction. The wheel will slow down and the ball will land anywhere on the wheel. If the ball lands on the number you have chosen, then you are a winner as well as everyone who has bet on the same number. If not, you can always wait for the next round to bet again. Sounds easy right? Well, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of the game so you’ll understand it better.
Types of Roulette Wheels
There are two types of Roulette Wheels that you may encounter when playing in an online or land-based casino. The American Wheel features both a single and double 0 pockets with European Wheel only having a single 0. The arrangement of the numbers vary.
Here’s how it looks like:
Single-zero (European) wheel: 0,32,15,19,4,21,2,25,17,34,6,27,13,36,11,30,8,23,10,5,24,16,33,1,20,14,31,9,22,18,29,7,28,12,35,3,26
Double-zero (American) wheel: 0,28,9,26,30,11,7,20,32,17,5,22,34,15,3,24,36,13,1,00,27,10,25,29,12,8,19,31,18,6,21,33,16,4,23,35,14,2
You need to keep in mind that the house advantage is higher in the American roulette so you might want to consider this if you are planning on playing some roulette online or offline.
When playing roulette, it is important that you try to anticipate where the ceramic ball will fall such as the number or even the type of pocket. The best way to do this is to learn the different types of bets that are allowed in the game. In roulette, there is the “inside” bets or wagers that are usually placed on specific numbers which often have higher paying odds. Here’s how you “inside” bets work:
- Straight up – When you bet on one number it pays 35 to 1.
- Split betting – Betting on two numbers pays 17 to 1.
- Street – Betting on three numbers yield 11 to 1. You can actually bet on three numbers using one chip which can be placed on the end of any “street” or the row of 3 numbers that is found on the map
- Corner betting – This happens when you bet on four numbers with a pay of 8 to 1. The chip is usually placed on the intersection of your four chosen numbers.
- Six line betting – As the name suggests, you will be betting on 6 numbers with a pay of 5 to 1. In this type of bet, you will have to place your chip on the edge of two adjoining streets.
- Five number betting – This is applicable for American Roulette only. This type of bet covers the “0,00,1,2,3” with a pay of 6 to 1.
- Row betting – This covers 0 to 00 with a pay of 17 to 1.
Aside from inside bets, you will also need to learn about the outside bets. As the name suggests, this type of bet is typically found outside the table map and it doesn’t involve any specific numbers at all. Here’s a break down of the possible bets that you can make outside.
- Red or black – If you are going to look at the map on the table, you will find that there are 18 numbers that have red background and the other 18 in black. Placing your bet on the red means that if the ball falls on any number that has a red background, you will win and vice versa. You will earn the equal amount of what you have placed on your original bet.
- 1 through 18, 19 through 36 – Betting on any of these two will let you win even money. If you bet on 1 to 18 and the ball falls on any of the number within this set, you will win. The same thing happens for 19 to 36. The casino or the house usually gets its edge on the 0 and double 0 since they do not fall on the red or black or within any of the set numbers. If the ball falls on either of the two, all even-money bets as well as outside bets lose.
- Odd or even – In this bet, you are placing a wager that the ball will fall on either odd or even number. If you do win, you will win the same amount as the money that you have wagered.
- Dozens – If you prefer to bet on dozens, you will have to place on the first dozen, the second, or the third set of dozen numbers. The pay here is 2 to 1.
- Columns – Place your wager on any of the three columns and get a pay of 2 is to 1.
You’ve probably observed roulette players in the casino already and have seen them putting chips in various numbers while the wheel is still turning. Well, these players are maximizing their chances of winning. But how long will you be able to place your bets? And how are the players paid? Well, the rules of roulette is very simple. Here’s how it works:
- Players are allowed to place bets on the table before the ball is dropped into the wheel by the croupier. You can still wager your chips even while the wheel turns.
- The croupier will call out when the betting phase is at end so everyone will have to wait and see where the ball will fall on the wheel.
- All the winners will be paid accordingly by the croupier with the loser’s bet being taken. Once all are paid out, a new round begins. While the winners are being paid, the winning number is marked. It will only be removed once another round is in session. If you are playing roulette in land based casinos, you will be given your own set of colored chips to help the croupier distinguish which chips are yours. If you win, the same colored chips will be given to you which you can use to play more rounds.
- You can actually place your chips on top of other wagers without worrying about confusion because you have your own color which the croupier can easily distinguish.
Tips on How to Win in Roulette
Like it was mentioned before, there are two types of bets that you can make in roulette, the inside and the outside bets. If you are planning on betting on numbers, you will be able to choose your own numbers depending on what type of inside bet you are going to play. For example, if you place a dollar bet on 8 and it wins, you will get $35 in return plus the dollar that you wagered. On the other hand, you will lose that dollar if another number wins. Do you place all of your bets in one place? Well, in a land-based casino, the minimum bet is $5 which means that you can dispense this value on any number that you like as long as the value that you put on the table is worth $5.
So how can you increase your odds of winning? Well, here are a few tips that you should try out.
- Stick to the minimum and the outside bets. If you are just starting out in roulette, and you don’t want to lose your money just yet, stick with the minimum bets first and the outside bets too where there is a 50/50 chance of you winning. If you stick with the outside bets you’ll get 1 is to 1 which means that if you wager $5 and your bet won, you will get $5 on top of your bet.
- Bet equal amounts on two outside bets. In this strategy, you should bet on even-money while the other bet can be placed on dozen or column where the payout is 2 is to 1. So here’s how it works: for example, place a wager on black then the other on Column Three that has 8 red numbers. This combination have 26 numbers that you can hit with 4 that you can cover twice. You can see from this combination that there is a much larger margin of you raking in some wins.
There are plenty of first timers and even veteran roulette players who want to bring home a lot of money from this table game. One betting pattern that they use is the “Martingale System”. In this betting system, the idea is that you double your bet every round until you get a win. A lot of players think that this is the best strategy there is to win a lot in roulette but there is still a risk that you should know of. You see although you are increasing the amount of money that you bring home when your bet wins, you are just breaking even here because you are spending double every round.
Aside from the Martingale System, there is also the Labouchere. Here you will be taking a row of numbers such as 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 with the numbers being your betting units where 10 is the lowest. Add the first then the last unit and you will get 60. For each loss that you have, you should get the first and the last number then bet that on the next round. It is simpler compared to the Martingale System which is one of the reasons why many roulette players prefer this system.
Playing roulette is an exciting game of chance for sure, but how does the casino get an edge over the game? Well, regardless of what casinos you are playing at, the casino has a house edge of around 5.26% with roulette. This means that your odds of winning are almost always less than the amount that you are being paid when you win.
Here’s a good example: the odds of winning in a straight bet is 37 to 1, but you are only getting paid 35 to 1 instead of 37. The 2 goes to the house. This means that the house wins most of the time compared to the players.
Even though the house edge is high there are instances where players often go home with lots of winnings. This is referred to as standard deviation which means that anything can happen in roulette. This is one of the reasons why roulette is still drawing a lot of crowd in casinos. As soon as the wheel starts to spin, and the ball falls, anything can happen. The odds can go up or down depending on where you place your bets but sure enough, if Lady Luck favors you, you might end up winning big in this table game.